• Home
  • Academic Accommodations

Academic Accommodations

The Academic Achievement and Access Center (AAAC) coordinates accommodations for students university-wide. It is an individual's choice whether to self-identify, submit documentation, and make the decision about using accommodations. AAAC provides academic accommodations such as in-class accommodations, auxiliary aides, and services (e.g., alternative texts or sign language interpreters). Para-transit is available to students with temporary or permanent mobility impairments who are unable to use the standard buses.

  • The services listed are the ones commonly provided.
  • Accommodations are tailored to a student's need on a case-by-case, course-by-course basis.
  • It is the student's responsibility to self-identify, provide appropriate documentation, and request services in a timely manner.
How do you qualify for accommodations?
To be eligible for accommodations, provide typed documentation from a qualified professional on the nature and impact of the disability. Information should include test results/report, functional effects of the disability and/or medication, and recommendations. Once received, it will be reviewed and assigned to the appropriate staff. During the intake, appropriate accommodations will be discussed.
Who can you talk to regarding accommodations?
For general information, any AAAC staff will answer general questions. However, questions regarding specific accommodations should be directed to the individual specialist assigned to the student or to the director of the Academic Achievement and Access Center.
How do you receive accommodations?
From your qualified accommodations, you have the right to select which accommodations to use and when. Individual needs can change or vary from class to class.
An Accommodation request must be completed for each class for which accommodations are needed. Accommodations are individualized for the student based on the disability documentation and the functional limitations in the classroom. Students complete the request with their AAAC professional staff member. Depending on the nature of requested accommodation(s) that are time intensive (e.g., sign language interpreting, books in alternate format), students should request services as soon as they register for classes. Otherwise, go to classes and obtain a course syllabus before scheduling an appointment.
How may a student dispute a decision or file a complaint regarding discrimination?


The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785) 864-6414, TDD (785) 864-4064.

If a student is not satisfied with any decision by the university involving academic adjustments or effective communication, or otherwise believes she or he has been discriminated against on the basis of disability, the student may contact the designated coordinator and/or file a complaint of discrimination in accordance with the university’s anti-discrimination grievance procedure entitled KU Discrimination Complaint Resolution Process. The student may contact the director of the Academic Achievement and Access Center prior to or after a complaint of discrimination is filed to attempt to resolve the complaint informally, but any informal or voluntary resolution attempts after a complaint is filed will not delay the investigation of the complaint pursuant to the grievance procedure set forth in the KU Discrimination Complaint Resolution Process.

Petition Process for Substitution of Math Requirements to the BGS Degree Option due to Mathematics Learning Disability or Information Processing Disorder.

The BGS degree requirements include a mathematics sequence. Students must complete a minimum of College Algebra (MATH 101) and a higher mathematics course with a prerequisite of MATH 101 for a total of six credit hours of mathematics instruction. Students may petition the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences' committees governing undergraduate degree requirements for a course substitution on the basis of disability. A student's petition to the Academic Standards Subcommittee must include:

1. The specific requirement petitioned for substitution;
2. The course(s) proposed as a substitution (see list below);
3. An explanation of the student's disability and why course substitution is an appropriate, reasonable, and necessary accommodation for student's disability; and
4. A recommendation from the Director of the Academic Achievement and Access Center (AAAC) that the course substitution be granted, showing AAAC's analysis of the student's disability and the reason the substitution is appropriate, reasonable, and necessary (see AAAC requirements below).

A completed petition may be submitted to the College Student Academic Services Office in Strong Hall, Room 109. The Academic Standards Subcommittee reviews all petitions and will respond to the student once a decision has been made. A petition for course substitution for learning disability or information processing disorder will be considered if and only if the petition contains the recommendation from the Director of the Academic Achievement and Access Center.

The University strongly believes in the necessity of math achievement, and the Kansas Algebra Program provides many appropriate accommodations and academic support resources (tutoring, academic aides, etc.) to facilitate success in mathematics. Therefore course substitution will be granted rarely and only where supported by medical information demonstrating that other available academic adjustments will not allow the student meaningful access to the BGS degree. Students must meet the six hour minimum requirement for mathematics. If a student is petitioning a substitution for all six credit hours, they must include two courses (totaling 6 credit hours) for the suggested substitution.

Examples of courses that may substitute for mathematics requirements include:

  • PHIL 310, Symbolic Logic
  • PHIL 148, Argument and Reason (Students must complete COMS 130 to satisfy the Argument and Reason requirement)
  • FIN 101, Personal Finance
  • Departmental statistics course (requires departmental approval)
  • Other courses may be submitted but will be evaluated for suitability by the Academic Standards Subcommittee

AAAC Requirements

To obtain AAAC's recommendation, students must meet with an Accessibility Specialist at AAAC to review and discuss the student's status, disability, and the academic support available for math courses. AAAC will review the student's case, including supporting documentation, and reach a decision as to the accommodations supported by student's documented educational history and disabling condition.

Required Documentation: To review the student's case, the student must provide AAAC with the following information and documentation: 

1. Documentation of the student's mathematics disability and confirmation of the student's prior performance in mathematics courses, including:

  •   A complete diagnostic assessment report from a qualified professional, including results of specific   psychoeducational testing indicating a Learning Disability in Mathematics or a processing deficit impacting   mathematics, and evaluating available academic   adjustments other than course substitution and why those   adjustments are insufficient to provide meaningful access;
  •   Student's prior individual education plans (IEP) and 504/transition plans involving math courses, including   information about previous academic adjustments provided and utilized by the student; and
  •   Other supporting information requested by AAAC about previously utilized accommodations in mathematics classes.

2. Documentation of student's complete academic record, including ACT/SAT scores, math placement test scores (if any), term and cumulative GPA's and semester course loads at KU and/or at previous institutions, as well as high school and prior college transcripts demonstrating math performance.

Quick Links

Icon that reads "Apply Here: New Student Application." Clickable link to apply for accommodations.

Icon that reads "Access Online: Registered Student Login." Clickable link leading to Access Online.

Icon that reads "Instructor Login." Clickable link to the Access Online portal for instructors.

Access Online

New to Access Online? Need the quick-start on requesting accommodations? View our step-by-step guide (.pdf) or visit our video tutorials page!


Coaching Advertisement

Follow the AAAC

Facebook         Twitter        Instagram

KU Today
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times